A Call for Papers will be issued in the summer of 2017 for the 2018 AHVMA Annual Conference in Kissimmee, Florida, October 4 – 7, 2018.
Submission Deadline: EXTENDED UNTIL – November 15, 2017
All presentations for the AHVMA Conference are in 50 minute increments. Multiple presentation slots may be requested. Priority consideration will be given to those individuals who can provide three accepted presentations (1/2 day of lecture).
Each presentation must be in English and accompanied, without exception, by a PowerPoint presentation. Presentation notes are also required for each lecture or lab session. Notes must be in English, between 2-6 pages, and contain at least 5 appropriate and relevant references in standard scientific format. These will be duplicated in our meeting Proceedings.
Presentations given during structured Conference tracks may not reference or promote a specific product or service.
Please see our Speaker FAQs for more information.
Call for Papers Submission Requirements (per lecture hour)
- Simple, short title that is clearly subject-appropriate, for each lecture hour
- At least two clearly stated objectives per lecture hour
- Abstracts, including objectives, of less than 250 words per lecture hour
Examples of Appropriate Titles, Objectives and Abstracts
TITLE: The Immune System and Cancer
OBJECTIVE: To understand the interaction of the immune system and cancer
OBJECTIVE: To understand how to enhance the immune system in its anti-cancer role
ABSTRACT: All parts of the immune system are involved in the control and treatment of cancer. Without a competent immune system, treatments for cancer can’t work. Cancer has ways of hiding from the immune system, and even co-opts macrophages into helping with metastases. This lecture will discuss how to counteract these effects and how to enhance the immune system’s anti-cancer effects.
TITLE: Herbs for Cancer Treatment
OBJECTIVE: To understand how to judge herbal research
OBJECTIVE: To understand how to best use herbs in the treatment of cancer
ABSTRACT: Many herbs and herbal formulas have been proposed for the treatment of cancer. Claims have been made for their efficacy, with and without the benefit of research. This lecture will present research evidence for effectiveness of herbs and herbal formulas, alone or in combination, and how to choose the ones best suited for various cancers in your patients.
TITLE: Supplements for Cancer Treatment
OBJECTIVE: To understand how supplements can work for cancer treatment
OBJECTIVE: To understand when and when not to use supplements to treat cancer
ABSTRACT: With recent evidence showing that vitamin E and beta carotene can decrease survival time in cancer patients, and warnings that anti-oxidants can decrease effectiveness of chemotherapy, it is time to examine their use more closely. Other supplements have been shown by research to increase survival time in patients. This lecture will show which to use, when to use them, and why.
Your lecture(s) may be chosen to be submitted for RACE Approval. If your lectures are chosen to be submitted for RACE consideration, you may be asked to supply letters of recommendation. You will be asked to submit letters of recommendation, if you do not meet the following RACE criteria:
The presenter must be knowledgeable in the subject matter at a level equal or higher than the intended audience AND qualified to engage in clinical veterinary practice or qualified in a field of science related to veterinary medicine. This can be demonstrated by the following:
- Being Board-certified in the subject matter OR
- Holding an advanced degree(s) (e.g. PhD from a suitably accredited institution) in the subject matter, OR
- Being a member of the faculty of an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) or Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)-accredited college of veterinary medicine or animal health technology, OR
- Being currently engaged in a recognized course of study that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association or Canadian Veterinary Medical Association and that leads to an advanced degree or specialty recognition related to the subject matter. OR
- Providing evidence of special knowledge in the subject area being presented which shall include one or more publications in a peer-reviewed, scientific journal within the last five (5) years
Please download the RACE Letter of Recommendation Template as a guide for your reference.